Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Smell of Mud

There is something about the smell of damp earth that energizes me. I'm not a great gardener, yet. But it is in my genes to grow things. I used to have quite a green thumb with houseplants, though my thumb is more of a pale lime right now. I managed to keep herbs growing all winter in my windowsill, the first time in two years of trying.

And right now, I have peas, beans, and radish seeds germinating, thick and strong (unlike the thin, spindly seedlings I was warned would grow in a windowsill.)

Last year, my garden was decimated by snails or slugs. I finally beat them, but it was too late for my garden to completely recover. I only got a few potent tomatoes, a few tiny jalapenos, and some onions. But I have onions still, garlic coming, and maybe some sage will come back.

This year, I plan pumpkins, sunflowers (courtesy of my 2-year-old,) and some beautiful purple, pink, and white flowers whose name escapes me at the moment, because my 5-year-old wanted to grow something beautiful.

I'm also planning to attack the weedfest that is my back yard. Hopefully, I can clear out some dead wood and the Japanese Beetles with it. Watch out, pests! I'm coming!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment